Tuesday 23 October 2012

On the next exciting episode!.....


"Oh quitting your job to pursue a media career? With no guarantee of work? That's nice."
I sensed sarcasm.
"At least  at the bare minimum you'll have lots of time to catch up on those TV box sets you haven't watched yet"
Yep, that was definitely sarcasm.

Three months ago I quit my day job. The one that had supplied me with money both to pay bills and have a bit of a social life for the last three years (oh and pay for my wedding), to take a place in the BBC’s  Production Talent Pool.... Which didn't guarantee any work.

It was a gamble, as people liked to remind me in conversations like the one above. But I had promised myself that 2012 was the year I would make one final stab at doing what I loved.... Plus, you know, I might just get that box set of Doctor Who Season 5 watched.

As it turns out, I didn't manage to catch up on the box set. I've been far too busy. Not always with paid work but often with non-paid but very exciting projects. Firstly there is the play I was directing at an amateur dramatics society which, as well as rehearsal time, it also took up days at a time working on designing and organising the publicity for the show.

Then there is the ever continuous networking, it really does never stop (more on the good, bad and ugly of this in a later blog). Even when there isn’t an organised event to go to (like the great Telly Talk events) there is e-mailing potential contacts and keeping up with current ones.... After all, you don't want them to forget you are there at that crucial moment they might know of a job you could do.

I also do love to plan and organise stuff. As one area of media i've always been interested in is radio, and I knew there were a few others in the Production Talent Pool (or the PTPeeps, as we’ve come to call ourselves) who also had an interest in the audio side of the media, it seemed a good idea to organise some way we could show off our interest and skills. A Podcast seemed the best way to do this and I’m pleased to say we’re nearing completion on our first episode.

Next up on the organising front a few of us radio lovers who attended the Telly Talk: London event thought it would be good to hold a similar event for radio. This is still in the early planning stages but keep tuned in for more information at a later date.

Then at some point, between all this some paid employment happened as well. One month-long contract through the BBC scheme so far and a few runner jobs in TV with other companies.

It’s still far too early to know if the gamble has paid off, but one thing’s for certain, it’s better to try and fail than to regret never having tried.

I may be married but I’m still at a point in life when I don’t have any fixed financial burdens. No mortgage, no children.  If I’m ever going to do it, it has to be now so why not give it a go.

And it’s certainly keeping me busy. Too busy to watch that box set at least.







No comments:

Post a Comment