Thursday 18 December 2014

The Interview ..... Don't let the Terrorists win

“The Interview” was not a film I was planning on seeing at the cinema, I probably wouldn't have paid to download it or rent it from a digital rental service. I MAY have watched it if it came to a service that I already have like Netflix. That’s not to say I thought it would be bad but I only go to the cinema a handful of times a year and I have to be picky, for me comedies don’t usually win in that battle.

However following the news that Sony has decided to completely cancel the release of this completed film in the light of the cyber attack hack against them last week and the further threat of physical terrorist attacks if the release goes ahead, I am now determined to pay to see this film at the earliest opportunity and I think everyone else should do the same.

We should not live in a world where terrorists can suppress free artistic expression and by giving in to their demands Sony are setting a dangerous precedent. If terrorist groups like this see that they can be successful in influencing behavior with their threats it will only make them more emboldened to make even more outrageous demands.

Currently Sony has said it doesn't plan any kind of release for the film, not even a digital only one. I hope they change their mind, and when they do I’ll be ready with my money to support the filmmakers. The people who put years of their life into making something only to have it pulled from under them.


I hope you will do the same, Even if you wouldn't have seen this film normally, even if you've never enjoyed a Seth Rogen film and generally dislike comedies, because this is about making an important stand to say we refuse to be threatened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment